In 1854 an infant church began to worship in the home of Mr James Young. Soon after, the congregation moved to his brother David Young’s house nearby, as it was larger. Subsequently the church moved to a blacksmiths shop in Nelson Street, and finally it’s own building in 1857 which was erected on the same site. The church was officially formed into a Baptist body in October 1963.